No matter the reason for getting online — whether it’s purely for entertainment or strictly for business — there’s no doubt that the internet experience vastly improves when the speeds are faster. And for today’s internet consumers, both at the office and in the home, fiber optics is clearly the future of data transport.
Allowing for massive data bandwidths and the absolute fastest internet speeds,fiber is today’s most sought-after method for sending and receiving data. The technology uses laser pulses to transmit billions of bits of data per second through long, thin strands of glass — at speeds more than 100 times faster than traditional, non-fiber!
Consumers should consider these many benefits of fiber-optic internet connections for both residential and business use:
Fiber in the home
Today’s homes are increasingly filled with a range of smart devices, each of which uses up bandwidth to connect to the internet. From smartphones, gaming systems and smart televisions to computers, tablets and even video doorbells, these devices need ample bandwidth to work well. Problems arise when a residence’s bandwidth is insufficient — especially when all of a home’s connected devices are working at once. If there’s not enough bandwidth, the simultaneous connections can cause speeds to screech to a halt, and even bring the dreaded buffering that leads to painfully slow speeds.
But with a fiber-optic connection, bandwidths can increase exponentially and speeds can go through the roof, even when multiple devices are connected. A fiber-optic connection to the home along with the appropriate internet plan can bring benefits like:
- Zero buffering
- Super-fast downloads and uploads
- The ability to stream OTT TV service, movies and music on multiple devices at the same time
- Low latency and ping speeds, providing a superior online-gaming experience with a competitive advantage
- Improved reliability and reduced susceptibility to inclement weather such as lightning
- Easy remote maintenance
Gigabit internet is the fastest connection available in the United States and can only be accomplished with fiber-optic service. A few download examples that demonstrate the power of Gigabit are:
- 25 songs in 1 second
- an entire television show in less than 3 seconds
- a full, high-definition (HD) movie in just 36 seconds
Fiber in the office
For modern businesses, the advantages of a fiber-optic connection are also extensive. With the significantly higher bandwidths that a fiber internet connection can deliver, the faster speeds bring significant benefits such as improved:
- Web conferencing
- File sharing, no matter the file size
- Audio quality for users of VoIP and PBX, business-class phone systems that use an internet connection
- Internal and external collaboration
- Streaming of high-definition video (such as training videos)
Additionally,fiber internet plans for businesses are often symmetrical, which means the upload and download speeds are the same.This can be particularly advantageous on the upload side, where businesses often need higher speeds for file-sharing purposes. Other distinct advantages a fiber connection can offer businesses include:
- Reliability —Fiber-optic internet is not as susceptible to inclement weather, which can affect or even stall data transmission. Unless physically cut, fiber remains the most reliable form of communications connection today.
- Cloud Access and Hosted Services —The speed, bandwidth, reliability and low-latency capabilities of fiber internet provide the best possible access to a business’s hosted services and cloud-based applications.
Ready to start putting FTC’s fiber internet service to work in your home or business? Fiber connectivity has very limited availability throughout the United States and FTC is the only provider making it available to many homes and businesses throughout our area. Learn more about our fiber-optic offerings at ftc.net, then call 888-218-5050 to find out if you can upgrade your connections today!